Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jester 'Stylus' Experience Quote

I was asked by Nurse Karen (of 'Soca Therapy' fame) for a quote on my 2009 Stylus DJ Award experience and here's what I had to say:

"It was honor to be a 5x nominee for the 2009 Stylus DJ Awards, but actually winning really surprised me. The competition was very serious in all the categories I was nominated in (College Radio, Club DJ, Toronto DJ, Myspace DJ Page, Soca DJ Of The Year). I was shocked to win 'College Radio Show Of The Year' 2 years in a row (for the 'Worldwide Wake Up Show' CIUT 89.5fm Thursdays 5:30-8am http://ciut.fm). I have to thank all those who have supported 'Worldwide' over the years. My goal with 'Worldwide' is to never make it sound cheap or unprofessional. I believe quality is important with whatever you do. Now to win 'Soca DJ Of The Year' was the real shocker. Definitely a competitive category (with Bandit, Soca Sweetness, MArXman, among others nominated in this category with me). I love calypso & soca a lot. I do so many things outside of soca music, but I always make sure I do at least 2 soca mixtapes a year and try my best to connect with the artists. I truly believe it is important to expose soca to the masses and break music. I believe that in any genre of music, but more so for soca. When I was a member of the KOS Family I was able to build with all of the artists that I met over the years and now as a member of the X-Caliber Entourage I see how hard it is for a soca artist to get his/her music heard since working with Dawg (Mr. Slaughter). My 2009 Stylus experience will defnitely be something to remember. Even if I don't win an award I truly believe having your name in a category with some of the countries best means alot. From DJ Wristpect, P-Plus, Ill Kids to Bandit, Soca Sweetness, & JUK, I am in good company and it shows my versatility even more."

No comments:

Post a Comment